At the age of 10 or younger, i had always been looking forward to this festive season as there were nothing more amusing through out the year than having to play with my cousins, visiting my long lost relatives, drinking fizzy sodas and eating some colorful food that - according to my mom, would cause cancer :p (We didn't get to drink and eat them all year round at fast food joints). As i grew older, it's my turn to watch my little cousins playing around with one another. And there, i saw my own shadow.
Every first day of chinese new year, it has been a tradition for my family to return to the ancestor house to give respect to the elder generation. On the year when i started to have better understanding on stuff, my mother began to relate stories of my great great grandparents in the old house. I felt drawn to the mysterious portraits hanging on the wall.Well, a little out of topic.
As we celebrate chinese new year- years after years, do we really know the true meaning behind it? I doubted so. Chinese New Year, which signifies the turning over of a new leaf, is a time for family reunion and thanksgiving. The celebration is traditionally highlighted with a religious ceremony given in honor of Heaven and Earth, the gods of the household and the family ancestors. People always have new resolution for the coming new year. I was wondering why resolution is made only when there's a new year? Why can't people evaluate themselves at any time of the year? I suppose that's only an excuse. Some people said resolution is meant to be broken. Ha...hah.. perhaps so.
I'm not against those people that jump on the bandwagon, having resolution only when new year comes. I have my own perseverance on resolution. Althought it is yet to know if i have achieved my goals. And if i have not, my resolution for the year will be the same thing...

No comments:
Post a Comment